Tuesday 4 January 2011

A Heritagey Day Out

Ok bloggers, I am back - again! Today I have been round my wonderful city to find more interesting pieces to put on here. A trip to Bradford on Avon is planned for a couple of days time so there will be a change of heritage scene!

First I took some piccies of the Weir, and of, perhaps one of the oldest items of heritage in our fair city; the humble Bath pigeon.

The Victoria Art Gallery was my next port of call, and I was fascinated by the Victorian exhibition. The photographs of Bath in the 19th C were captivating and there were many interesting items including a Bath Chair, a Weighing Chair, Lifting Chair from the Victorian Spa Treatment Centre and a Needle Douche - an early Victorian shower. Unfortunately I couldn't get any photographs of the exhibit as it was prohibited, so if you're interested in seeing posters advertising the first Bank Holiday in 1876 or that of a meeting to discuss the flooding of Bath or some of the many photos and paintings then stroll down, you have until the 2nd of February to do so!

Other pictures included the extension to the Holburne Museum opening in Spring this year;
The original and beautiful facade

And the not so beautiful, filthy looking extension;

I also had a wander around the gardens surrounding the Holbourne and discovered a lovely little railway track and bridge that reminded me of the original Railway Children film.
It may not be of much interest but I like it. And it's still in working order today, just tucked away behind some bushes and down some steps.
Anyway, you're probably bored now so toodles folks! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment